- Start date: Thursday 12th September 2019 & Thursday 12th March 2020
- Duration: The main courses will take place over 22 weeks, Mornings 9:30 -12noon, or Evenings 5pm-7:30pm. We also have a course that will take over 15 weeks, Morning 9:30- 13:30 The additional Canine First Responder course will take on a date to be advised by us.
- Location: Brooksby
- Fees: £1100 (VAT exempt).
A non-refundable deposit of £100.00 will be requested once a place on the course is offered.
Learners may wish to progress onto the City & Guilds Level 3 Dog Grooming qualification.
Please see ‘specific entry requirements’ section below.
About the Course
This course incorporates working with a variety of breeds and coat types in an intimate group, enabling the fully qualified tutor to provide each candidate with time to build their confidence and skill set.
The First Responder course covers practical aspects of barrier use, scene assessment specific to the dangers of dealing with canines in an emergency situation, canine rescue breathing, canine CPR, shock management, spinal injury management, control of serious bleeding and choking and how to deal with it. The course is also intended to cover an element of secondary care and will look at bandaging, lifting and moving a canine patient.
Specific Entry Requirements
- Access to a minimum of two dogs throughout the duration of the course (with proof of up to date vaccinations)
- All dogs must be over the age of 6 months
- Applicants will be considered on an individual basis.
- Candidates must attend all lessons.
Modules (Level 2 Dog Grooming)
- Prepare and groom dogs prior to bathing
- Bathe and clean dogs
- Clean and maintain equipment used for grooming
- Control and restrain animals
- Dry dogs and prepare their coats for styling
- Move animals between locations
What will you gain?
- Skills and confidence to progress onto Level 3
- Ability to prepare dogs prior to grooming
- Ability to safely move dogs between locations
- A recognised professional qualification within the industry
- An understanding of how to safely administer First Aid and CPR to canines in an emergency situation
- A knowledge of how to maintain canine health
‘I attended Brooksby College to work towards the City and Guilds Level 3 Introductory Dog Grooming qualification.
Like any new student starting a new course I was fairly nervous but from the word go Donna’s welcoming smile and enthusiasm towards her job immediately put my mind at ease.
The course was made up of both practical and theory modules, in both I found Donna knowledgeable and her feedback to be very fair and constructive.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Brooksby Melton College and would highly recommend their Dog Grooming courses to anybody that needs hands-on training delivered by an excellent tutor.’
– Denise Whitup
How to Apply
As a first step, please print off then complete and return one of our application forms. The form may be found here.
Click here to read the Short Course Booking Procedures.