- Start date: September
- Duration: 2 Years (Full-Time)
- Location: Brooksby
- Fees: This course is fully funded for school leavers.
As a BMC Animal Care student, you will have the opportunity to learn about animal health and welfare, animal behaviour, animal nursing, animal biology and practical handling of animals, in addition to other specialist modules.
Our students go on to develop careers in veterinary nursing, dog training and grooming, kennel/cattery management, education, zoo keeping, animal rehabilitation, animal welfare, nutrition, conservation and more.
The BMC School of Higher Education also offers degrees in Animal Management (Science and Welfare).
5 GCSEs at Grade C/4 or above including English, Science and Maths OR Level 2 Animal Care and Level 1 Functional Skills.
If you miss the English and/or Maths requirements of your course, don’t worry – there are options. See our GCSE English and Maths page for more information.
- Animal Breeding and Genetics
- Animal Biology
- Animal Welfare and Ethics
- Practical Animal Husbandry
- Practical Skills in Animal Science
- Animal Behaviour
- Animal Health and Diseases
- Work Experience in the Animal Sector
- Investigative Research Project
- Exotic Animal Husbandry
- Principles of Animal Nursing
- Human and Animal Interaction
- Zoological Animal Health and Husbandry
- Wildlife and Ecology
- Boarding Establishments
- Wide range of animals to work with; exotic animals such as reptiles, amphibians and aquatics; domestic and companion animals; horses and farm animals.
- Kennel and cattery units
- Aqua treadmill
- Science laboratories
- Grooming school
- 850 acre Brooksby Estate
- Fully-working farm
- Benefit from working with other courses and their facilities, such as Equine Care and Agriculture
- Participate in trips to a range of places and industry events, such as Crufts, West Midlands Safari Park, the Sea Life Centre, RSPCA, Dogs Trust and the Defence Animal Centre.
- Talks from industry specialists to enhance your learning – including dog trainers, nutritionists, rescue centre staff, reptile keepers and wildlife rescuers.
- Take an industry relevant short course alongside your full-time qualification, such as Canine Psychology and Canine First Responder Training, or Basic Lambing Skills.
If you like what you’ve seen so far, why not come along to our next Brooksby Campus Open Event?
This is a fantastic way for you to get a feel for what it’s like to be a student at BMC. You will get to meet our industry-expert teaching staff, tour our fantastic facilities and find out everything you need to know about courses at BMC.
For a list of our upcoming events, click here.