- Start date: September
- Duration: 1 Year (Full Time)
- Location: Brooksby
- Fees: This course is fully funded for school leavers.
If you love the outdoors and working with the natural world, choose Countryside Management at BMC!
Our Countryside Management students have gone on to work in a range of careers in the great outdoors, such as becoming a park ranger, ecologist, estate manager, environmental educator, or a conservation officer.
Our Level 3 courses allow students to progress on to University to study subjects such as ecology, wildlife conservation, countryside management or environmental management.
4 GCSEs at Grade D/3 or above including English, or Level 2 Countryside Management and Level 1 Functional Skills
If you miss the English and/or Maths requirements of your course, don’t worry – there are options. See our GCSE English and Maths page for more information.
Adult students are welcome to apply.
- Business Management in the Land-Based Sector
- Plant Science
- Soil Science
- Tree Felling and Chainsaw Use
- Physical and Biological Environmental Processes
- Wildlife Populations, Ecology and Conservation
- Investigative Project in the Land-Based Sector
- Work-Related Experience in the Land-based Industries
- Estate skills
- Land-Based Machinery Operations
- We have close links with Leicestershire County Council, so our students have the opportunity to help with habitat management on their sites, such as Beacon Hill Country Park.
- Take an industry-relevant short course alongside your full time qualification, such as Pesticides or Chainsaw skills.
- Undertake community projects; previously our students have been involved in planting trees and shrubs around the college campuses.
- Complete woodland surveys and management plans of areas such as Hambleton Wood.
- Trips to Sherwood Forest, Cossington Meadows Nature Reserve, and the Derbyshire Dales, helping you gain real-life experience in various course areas.
- Get involved in some traditional woodland crafts – learn how to make mallets, staffs and cleft wood gates!
Leicester Tigers Rugby Pathway
If you are a keen rugby player you will have the opportunity to train with Leicester Tigers throughout your Level 3 Countryside Management course. There are two possible Rugby pathways, depending on your ability level:
- You can be part of the AASE Leicester Tigers Academy. This pathway includes 8-10 hours of training per week, including strength and conditioning. Students who are selected by Leicester Tigers for this pathway will play in the top college rugby league.
- If you are not selected for the AASE pathway, you still have the opportunity to train for 5-6 hours per week with Leicester Tigers community coaches and play friendly matches. This pathway is open to any Level 3 Countryside Management students who are keen rugby players.
If you are interested in pursuing either of these pathways alongside your Level 3 Countryside Management qualification, please make this clear in your personal statement.
Accommodation is available to Level 3 Agriculture, Countryside Management and Horticulture students.
Would you like to start a course at BMC in September, but are struggling with the distance? Our on-site 16-18 accommodation could be the perfect solution!
If you would like to find out more about our accommodation offer:
T: 01664 855 444
If you like what you’ve seen so far, why not come along to our next Brooksby Campus Open Event?
This is a fantastic way for you to get a feel for what it’s like to be a student at BMC. You will get to meet our industry-expert teaching staff, tour our fantastic facilities and find out everything you need to know about courses at BMC.
For a list of our upcoming events, click here.